Cool crisp mornings, pretty leaves falling and warm baked goods, I love autumn! It has to be one of my favourite times of year to bake, especially at the cottage by the lake (where the air just seems a little fresher). So, once I finally got myself out of the city and up to the cottage all I could think about was baking something with warm rich flavours. The end result was a moist banana, blueberry coffee cake with toasted pecans!
A coffee cake has been on my ‘to-bake’ list for some time now, and I finally got around to it. This recipe was well worth the wait! It is moist, full of rich nutty flavours and the perfect pairing for your coffee or tea. It’s also the perfect recipe to feed a crowd, great for cottage weekends or you can split the recipe in two; sharing one loaf and keeping the other for yourself (bonus!!).
I have so many overripe bananas in my freezer that I wanted to incorporate them into a coffee cake, but that’s all I had and knew at this point. On my way up to the cottage I stopped at my favourite Fruit and Veggie Stand in Lakefield – Leahy’s Farm. This place is the cutest stand around (and I’m not kidding, I just love their stand). I’m always inspired by new ideas of cooking and baking when I walk up and see all their fresh local goodies! I was feeling especially inspired by the abundance of little wild blueberries and I knew I had to add them to my coffee cake recipe!
Once I arrived at the cottage, I rolled up my sleeves, got out my ingredients, mashed the bananas and toasted my pecans. The banana blueberry coffee cake was in the works and once I popped it in the oven the entire cottage was filled with the most delightful smells of cinnamon, cloves and bananas!! This is a must have recipe for this Autumn!
Happy Baking 🙂Print
Banana Blueberry Coffee Cake
This banana blueberry coffee cake is super moist and has just the right amount of sweetness. It’s filled with cinnamon, cloves, bananas and toasted pecans; that swirl throughout. This coffee cake will be your new favourite treat to enjoy with a hot cup of tea!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 9 x 11 dish 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: German
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (full fat)
- 4 ripe bananas (the browner the better, lightly mashed)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans (chopped)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line a 9×11″ baking dish with parchment paper and set aside (I used a large deep dish pie pan. You can also use 2 loaf pans for this recipe).
- In a large bowl beat butter and white sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in sour cream, mashed banana, and blueberries. Mix until just incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whisk together, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated (don’t overmix)!
- In a small bowl mix brown sugar, cinnamon and ground cloves together.
- Pour half your batter into your prepared pan, sprinkle half your cinnamon sugar mix on top of the batter and half of your toasted pecans. Pour the rest of your batter on top and then again sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar mix and pecans on top.
- Place in the middle of your oven and bake for 55 -60minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 serving of 18
- Calories: 336
- Sugar: 25.8g
- Sodium: 107mg
- Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 46.8g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
Keywords: Coffee Cake, Banana Bread, Coffee, Cake, Blueberry
You may also like: