Heavenly is probably the best word I can use to describe these moist decadent brownies that are baked with sparkling crystals of sugared ginger! It is without a doubt, my favourite chocolate sweet to date!
I haven’t been in the best of moods these past days, despite the beautiful change in weather – the appearance of spring flowers starting to bloom and the longer and brighter days. Normally when I’m feeling blue I’ll find myself in the kitchen to comfort myself, and what’s better than a childhood favourite? My mom always made us chocolate brownies as kids (normally slathered in chocolate buttercream icing) for a treat after dinner. If we were lucky there would be enough left over to pack into our lunch boxes for the next day.
So without even thinking I pulled out the chocolate and started making a batch of brownies. This isn’t my mom’s recipe, it’s one that I used and created for my catering business. I like it because it doesn’t have a lot of ingredients and I find the process soothing – melting butter and chocolate together over the stove – the aromas alone can brighten someone’s day. I normally add raspberry buttercream to the brownies but I really wanted to simplify the recipe as much as possible (I just desperately wanted to bite into a warm chocolatey treat!).
I’ve had a little bag of sugared ginger sitting in my cupboard for about a year now, I must have bought it for some recipe but never ended up using it. I absolutely love ginger, and thought this could be a fun opportunity to use it. The sugared ginger looks so pretty topped on the dark rich brownies and the hints of spicy ginger are delicate in the chocolate (it’s exactly how I like it). I didn’t try and make something fancy, I just wanted an old favourite but somehow ended with a new version.
The next best thing to help with ‘my blues’ was sharing these chocolate and ginger brownies with friends over a nice meal and a glass of wine. It’s really that simple; surrounding oneself with people who care, sharing laughs over good food.Print
Chocolate and Ginger Brownies
These brownies are super moist and chocolatey with hints of spicy ginger. They are a decadent treat to curb that chocolate craving!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 8x8 pan 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup (150g) milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons sifted cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 Tablespoons candied ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch square pan or cover in parchment paper . Set aside.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Melt butter and chocolate slowly. Let cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, cocoa and ginger together. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy. Slowly add chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Add flour mixture and fold to combine.
- Spread into prepared pan. Sprinkle candied ginger on top.
- Place in the middle of an oven and bake for 25 – 30 mins, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (don’t overbake). Cool on a cooling rack.
Store brownies in an airtight container for 3 days. Brownies also freeze well.
- Serving Size: 1 of 24
- Calories: 89
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 28mg
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 10.3g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
Keywords: Chocolate, Brownies, Ginger, Dessert
You may also like: