Classic Blueberry Pie
Nothing beats a classic blueberry pie made with tiny wild blueberries! It’s everything you want in a pie, a flaky buttery crust and a fruity runny filling that spills out with sweet little bundles of fresh blueberries!
- Author: Alie Romano
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 1 9" pie 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 x Pie Pastry Recipe
- 5 1/2 – 6 cups wild blueberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Lemon zest, from one large lemon
- milk, to brush the top
- coarse sugar (optional), for topping
- Set out a 9″ pie plate.
- Make 2x pastry following pastry recipe (linked in the ingredients). Wrap pastry in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge (you should have two separate discs of pastry).
- While the pastry is resting in the fridge for 30 minutes (or up to 24 hrs) prep your filling. In a large bowl add blueberries, sugar, flour, and lemon zest. Mix to combine and let sit to allow the juices to form.
- On a prepared work surface roll one disc of dough out into a circle larger than your pie dish, approx. 12 inches. Gently lay the dough into a 9 inch pie dish and press the dough down. Using a fork prick the bottom of the pastry all over. Set aside.
- Roll out approx. 3/4’s of other disc of pastry to approx. 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 9 strips about an inch thick. Set aside.
- Now fill the pie with the blueberry filling.
- Using the 9 strips create a lattice by criss-crossing pastry strips over the top. Trim the edges and pinch together to seal.
- Brush the pie with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place the pie in the freezer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 450˚F and lower the rack to the bottom third of the oven.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then turn down the oven to 350˚F and continue to bake 45-55 minutes or until bubbly, browned and pie is baked all the way through. If the edges are browning too fast, wrap tinfoil around the edges to protect them from burning while baking.
- Let pie cool on a cooling rack before enjoying.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of 10
- Calories: 514
- Sugar: 15.2g
- Sodium: 217mg
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated Fat: 13.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 57.1g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
Keywords: Blueberry Pie, Pie, Pastry, Dessert