If you’ve ever had the pleasure of spending a weekend at my family cottage in the North Kawarthas, then you’ve experienced my Dad’s famous blueberry buttermilk pancakes! You’ll normally wake to the warm smell of buttery, bread-like batter frying on a hot skillet, my Dad in his apron wearing a smile while he dances around the kitchen eager to please. Cooking and baking doesn’t only run on the female side of my family, the men have a few tricks up their sleeves too. 😉
His pancakes are a big hit on Sunday mornings and pair perfectly with local bacon, maple syrup, and fresh fruit. Anyone who’s had my Dad’s pancakes can’t stop raving about them and always wonder how he gets them so fluffy and light. Pancakes are actually really easy to make but many people struggle with getting them just right, normally the problem is they are too flat and dense.
If you ask him how he does it, he’s happy to share his tips on making the perfect light and fluffy buttermilk pancakes!
So, here are my Dad’s tips on making the perfect light and fluffy buttermilk pancakes!
- Add wet ingredients on top of dry ingredients. Gently fold in using an up and over motion. DO NOT OVERMIX! DO NOT OVERMIX! Do not take out all the lumps.
- Let mixture rest for at least 5 minutes before using.
- Tiny, wild blueberries work best. If using frozen, pat dry with paper towel, otherwise you will have blue pancakes.
- If you have a griddle, use it! I like to use Crisco to grease the griddle.
- Heat griddle to medium-low heat (patience, don’t try and cook the pancakes fast on high heat).
- Spoon out approx. 1/4 cup of batter (the smaller the easier it is to handle) keeping the size consistent so they take the same time to cook.
- Once you spoon your batter, gently spread the batter out a little so it’s even.
- Once bubbles form on top of the pancakes, gently lift the corner to ensure they aren’t burning.
- After you flip the pancake, the other side should only take 1-2 minutes to cook. Use the point of a sharp knife to make a small slit in the centre of the pancake to ensure it’s cooked all the way through.
- Remove from griddle, lather each pancake in butter and keep warm in a 200˚F oven.
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
The best buttermilk pancake recipe you’ll ever need with tips on how to get the fluffiest pancakes!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 24–32 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (for more of a cinnamon punch add an extra 1/2 tsp)
- 2 small eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until combined. It’s okay to leave lumps, don’t overmix.
- Let mixture rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat a nonstick griddle (on medium to low heat) until drops of water dance and sputter.
- Lightly grease griddle (with crisco).
- Drop batter approx. 1/4 cup size and spread the batter out a little with your spoon. Cook for approx. 2-3 minutes until bubbles form and the bottom is golden brown, flip pancake over. Do not flatten the pancake with your spatula!
- Serve warm with maple syrup.
You can also use chopped fresh peaches or shredded apple, yum!
If there are any leftovers – put a square of parchment paper between each pancake, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to a month. Reheat in the toaster and enjoy later. 🙂
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 50
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 62mg
- Fat: 1.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8.4g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
Keywords: Buttermilk Pancakes, Blueberry Pancakes, Breakfast, Brunch
You may also like:
These tips are great. Maybe I can make my husband a lover of pancakes yet!
Thanks Sarah! Who doesn’t like pancakes? I can’t believe this. 😉
He’s a waffle man! I’ve been trying to convert him for 10 years now, so maybe these tips will do it!
Me too. Good Luck!
We’ve been roaming from recipe to recipe on pancakes, glad you have one! Trying these this weekend 🙂
[…] no master when it comes to making the perfect fluffy pancake like my Dad is. His Buttermilk Blueberry Pancake are the fluffiest and tastiest pancakes around, he truly has mastered the perfect pancake. If […]