Have any leftover nuts, bits of chocolate, candy or dried fruit ? This everything cookie dough is designed to add whatever extra ingredients you desire. You get to create your very own cookie. The everything cookie dough base makes up a lot of dough which is great because you can freeze the dough into smaller batches. Later you can easily pull it out, thaw and add your desired fillings. I always like to have cookie dough on hand (there’s nothing better than having warm cookies fresh from the oven) and you never know when you’ll have some unexpected visitors stop by.
I hate throwing out food, it’s wasteful and I feel irresponsible and guilty when I do. In reality most of us are fortunate enough to be able to indulge in treats. That’s the inspiration behind this cookie! Some recipes leave us with just bits and pieces of ingredients, not enough for another recipe but too much to throw out. So save those bits and pieces and add them to the everything cookie dough and never throw out another thing!
Cookie Variations & Ingredients
When it comes to what to add to the everything cookie dough it’s up to you! This recipe gives you the freedom to create your very own cookie version! I like to keep the combinations of extra ingredients to around 3-4. Once you get too many extra ingredients it becomes overkill and you lose the textures and tastes. Here are some ideas that you can add to your cookie dough;
- Chocolate; white, dark, or milk
- Nuts; macadamia, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds
- Coconut; I prefer unsweetened as the dough is sweet enough
- Mini marshmallows
- Candy; Skor bits, butterscotch chips, M&M’s
- Dried fruit; cranberries, strawberries, raisins, cherries
Can you freeze cookie dough and baked cookies?
You bet! And I highly recommend it. You can do this a few ways;
- Make up the everything cookie dough and divide it into batches. Then add your extra ingredients to the batch of cookies you will be baking right away. Freeze the other dough without any extra ingredients and when you are ready to use the dough on a later day simply defrost and add your desired ingredients. Freeze the dough in freezer bags or in an airtight container for up to two months. The trick is not to forget the dough is in the freezer!!
- Make up the everything cookie dough as you like and bake as many cookies as you want. With the rest of the dough, roll the dough into balls approx. 1 tablespoon in size. Add the balls of dough to a freezer bag or an air tight container and freeze for up to two months. Take as many balls out of the freezer as you want to bake, place them on a baking sheet and let cookies defrost and bake as the recipe is directed. Note: Freeze the balls of cookie dough on a baking sheet first. This will insure the balls don’t get stuck together when placed in a freezer bag or a container.
- Bake up all the cookies and freeze a portion of the baked cookies. Cookies freeze really well, and it’s best to freeze cookies rather than let them go stale! Divide cookies in smaller portions and freeze in freezer bags or an airtight container. Let cookies come to room temperature before enjoying.
I hope you enjoy the everything cookie dough as much as I did. Let me know in the comments what you added to your cookie dough!
The Everything Cookie Dough
This is the perfect cookie dough to add any of your favourite ingredients! You get to create your very own cookie. Use up leftover nuts, bits of chocolate, candy or dried fruit! This recipe makes a lot of dough and can be frozen and baked on a rainy day.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 18 mins
- Yield: 4 Dozen 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Add Your Extra Ingredients
- Use any extra ingredients you’d like. For example;
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup crushed peanuts
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Skor bits
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and mix until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract, mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture slowly to the butter mixture until combined.
- Add desired ingredients – coconut, peanuts, marshmallows, Skor bits and lightly mix or fold into batter.
- Spoon batter (1 tablespoon size) onto your prepared baking sheet, approx. 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack.
- Serve and enjoy.
Freeze cookie dough for later!!
Divide dough into batches and place into freezer bags and freeze until you’re ready to have fresh cookies (will last 2 months in the freezer). When you’re ready to use the dough, let cookie dough come to room temperature, bake as directed. See blog for more ideas on freezing.
Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie/ just dough
- Calories: 78
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 111mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8.3g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
Keywords: Cookies, Treat, Everything Cookie Dough
You may also like: