Cookies are the perfect treat to share, to have around the house, or just to enjoy with a friend and a cup of tea! There are the classics like peanut butter and chocolate chip but what about changing things up a little and trying something new?! These lemon poppy seed cookies are the perfect treat to do just that! They are lemony and fresh with a crisp outer layer and are chewy and soft on the inside. These cookies are a slice and bake cookie, meaning you make the dough, roll it in a log then refrigerate the dough so it gets nice and firm. After it is firm you simply slice the cookie roll and bake away!
These lemon and poppy seed cookies have quickly become a favourite in our household. I always like to keep a roll or two in the freezer, ready to pop out and bake when a craving returns!
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Poppy seeds
- Baking soda
How to keep slice and bake cookies round?
There’s no real trick when it comes to keeping a slice and bake cookie round, you simply need to keep rolling the log so it doesn’t get a flat edge when it rests. After rolling the dough into a log, roll and wrap it onto wax paper then place it in the fridge for a few hours to firm up. Every once in a while take the log out and give it a roll to reshape. Do this about 2 – 3 times as it’s firming up.
I’ve heard of tricks like rolling the log into an empty paper roll or wrapping paper roll. Honestly, this seems like a lot more work to me than just heading to the fridge and giving the dough a few extra rolls!
Freeze Cookie Rolls for Later
Yup, you can freeze the dough!! These lemon and poppy seed cookies freeze so well, making them the perfect cookie to have extra on hand. They will be ready to pull out of the freezer, slice and bake when unexpected guests arrive! Simply make the dough, roll it into a log, wrap and freeze! Pull the log out of the freezer and let the dough defrost slightly. Using a sharp, large knife slice and bake as usual.
Double this recipe to freeze more cookie logs or divide your dough into two instead of the one cookie log noted in the recipe.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know what you think in the comments below! Happy baking. 🙂
How To Make Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
Step One: Make your cookie dough. Roll dough into a 10-12 inch log and wrap tightly in wax paper. Refrigerate cookie dough until firm approx. 2-3 hours.
Step Two: Once cookie dough is firm, slice the log into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Step Three: Place slices on a cookie sheet and bake for 8 – 10 minutes.Print
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
These lemon and poppy seed cookies are a slice and bake cookie! They are lemony and fresh with a crisp outer layer and are chewy and soft on the inside. They are a great change from a classic chocolate chip cookie and the dough freezes well. The recipe doubles easily.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 2 dozen 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: British
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- zest of a lemon, approx. 2 teaspoons
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add egg to combine. Add lemon zest and lemon juice, continue to beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, poppy seeds, baking soda and salt together.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Beat until dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a work surface and roll into a log approx. 10 -12 inches long.
- Roll log onto a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper. Wrap tightly. Place the log in the fridge to firm up for approx. 2 – 3 hours. Occasionally check on your log and re-roll so you don’t get a flat edge.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Once the cookie dough is firm use a sharp large knife and cut 1/2 inch thick slices down the entire log.
- Place cookies on a prepared cookie sheet approx. 2 inches apart and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until cookies just start to brown around the edges.
- Remove cookies from the cookie sheet and let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 89
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 106mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12.3g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
Keywords: Cookies, Lemon Poppyseed, Treat, Dessert, Tea Cookies, Slice and Bake
You simply need to keep rolling the log so it doesn’t get a flat edge while it firms up in the fridge. After rolling the dough into a log, roll and wrap it onto wax paper then place it in the fridge for a few hours to firm up. Every once in a while take the log out and give it a roll to reshape. Do this about 2 – 3 times as it’s firming up.
You can freeze slice and bake cookies for 3-4 months when stored properly. Tightly wrap logs in wax paper and seal the ends. Then place logs in a freezer bag or in an airtight container. To bake, defrost cookies in the fridge overnight, slice and bake the next day.
These lemon poppy seed cookies will last approx. 4 days when stored in an airtight container. Or freeze baked cookies for up to one month.
You may also like: