Here is a fun summer treat that Dad will love, well at least my Dad does! Coconut cream squares are my dad’s new favourite dessert (and I think it’s mine now too) with a thick cookie crust, filled with light airy coconut pudding, topped with a cloud of cream and toasted coconut. Your Dad won’t be able to resist- I know mine can’t!
Coconut cream squares are a great make ahead treat that you can bring to your Father’s Day BBQ party. I found these squares get better the next day, letting all the flavours absorb together and softening the cookie crust. They are so delicious and light, and not overly sweet; making them the perfect summer treat for Dad this Father’s Day. Trust me you’ll want to make these!
These squares are a take on the classic coconut cream pie, making them a little more hip for that ‘trendy’ Dad! Even though my Dad loves old time classics like bread and rice pudding, coconut cream pie and cupcakes; he’s still pretty hip ;). He’s happy getting his desserts in any shape or form, especially when it involves coconut cream!
I wish I could take credit for this recipe but I can’t. I feel terrible because I can’t even give credit to whomever came up with this stand down coconut-ty delicious treat! My Mom loves baking for my Dad and trying new recipes, and she found this recipe online (pinterest, of course). You see she prefers to write out her recipes and keep them in her recipe book, the only problem with this is she forgot to write down where the recipe came from. I knew I wanted to make these coconut cream squares for my Dad for Father’s Day and once I had tried them for myself, I had to share this recipe with all of you! They are just too good not to share 🙂 So if anyone knows who the author is, or if you are the author and reading this, please let me know so I can first thank you for this recipe that my Dad loves and second to give you credit!
Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there, especially to my Dad!Print
Coconut Cream Squares
Not overly sweet, light and delicious these coconut cream squares will be a huge hit! This is a great dessert to make ahead of time, as it lasts a long time (and it gets better the next day). It’s a lazy mans version of a coconut cream pie with a shortbread base, a coconut custard and topped with cream and more coconut.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 mins
- Yield: 1 9×9 pan 1x
- Category: Squares
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups full milk
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons icing (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper (leaving paper to overhang, so you can easily pull out the squares using the extra parchment paper). Set aside.
- In a large mixer beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to your butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Transfer the cookie dough into your 9×9 pan and using your palm and fingers press the dough evenly in the pan to create a layer.
- Bake for approx. 15 minutes until the edges start to brown. Once cooled, stick the pan into the fridge.
- Meanwhile, make your coconut cream filling.
- In a medium size saucepan mix sugar, cornstarch and salt until combined. Whisk milk and coconut milk into dry ingredients on medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add egg yolks and slowly bring to a boil, whisking consistently. Once the mixture has come to a boil, lower heat and mix for another 60 seconds until the mixture is a pudding-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and add butter, vanilla and coconut. Stir to combine.
- Place your coconut cream in a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; pressing the plastic on top of the coconut cream creating a seal, so no air can get through. Refrigerate for approx. 1 hour or when ready to use.
- In a separate bowl whip whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla together until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Toast coconut in a saucepan on medium heat. Set aside.
- Now remove your cookie crust and coconut cream from the fridge. Layer the cream on top of the cookie crust, followed by the whipping cream and sprinkle the toasted coconut on top. Slice into squares and serve.
Squares are best once set in the fridge for at least an hour or the next day.
They will last up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 14.2g
- Sodium: 63mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 21.3g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
Keywords: Squares, Bars, Coconut Cream, Dessert
You may also like: