There is more than one way to enjoy pastry than pie, like these fuss-free, savoury roasted vegetable galettes. They are loaded with an assortment of vegetables, herbs, garlic and sharp asiago cheese. Galettes are elegant yet rustic and this savoury version makes a beautiful light meal.
A galette is basically a free formed pie, with a pastry that’s buttery, flaky and tender. The pastry is folded over a pile of bursting fruit or in this case roasted vegetables, leaving the middle exposed. The best part about making galettes are the imperfections are what makes them perfect! Which means they are stress free to bake and assemble.
I can’t emphasize enough how simple galettes are to make and these roasted vegetable galettes will easily become a new favourite in your home.
- This recipe makes 4 individual galettes, but I have to admit the galettes are still on the larger size. You could definitely make 6 personal size galettes from the recipe instead (or one large galette).
- Always keep your pastry cold, if your pastry has been out for too long and has become soft, pop it in the freezer for 5 mins to firm back up. You can even do this with your roasted vegetable filling on top of the pastry, just place the entire pan right in the freezer. I highly recommend placing your galettes in the freezer just before you bake them. Again this will firm up your pastry and help with that flaky crust.
- Don’t over roast your vegetables on the first bake time. Remember once you fill your galettes you will continue to bake the vegetables for another 40-45 minutes.
- When assembling your galettes with the filling make sure to work on parchment paper. Place a piece of parchment paper under your rolled out 8 inch circle, then continue to make your galette. This way you can easily move your galettes to your baking sheets without any problems.
Enjoy these roasted vegetable galettes with a side salad and bbq sausages, or whatever your heart desires. Have fun and change up the filling with your favourite vegetables. Happy baking friends!Print
Roasted Vegetable Galettes
Enjoy these simple savoury galettes filled with roasted vegetables, herbs and asiago cheese. This is a fuss free recipe with an elegant twist. The pastry is buttery and flaky then topped with roasted vegetables. The recipe makes 4 galettes but you can make 6 personal size galettes or 1 large galette.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: French
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 5 medium shallots, cut into wedges
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 1 cup mini red potatoes, sliced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Make your pastry following the pastry recipe. Click here.
- Divide your dough into 4 discs, wrap in plastic and let rest in the fridge for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prep your vegetables.
- Add all the sliced vegetables and chopped garlic to the pan. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Using your fingers or tongs, toss to coat all the vegetables. Note: If your pan isn’t large enough to spread the vegetables out without overcrowding, separate the vegetables and bake on 2 baking sheets.
- Add fresh thyme and rosemary on top of the vegetables.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes just until vegetables start to soften. Don’t worry if the vegetables aren’t completely soft they will continue to cook again with the pastry. You don’t want to overbake them the first round.
- Remove and discard the stems from the thyme and rosemary.
- Make your galettes. Line your baking sheet with a clean piece of parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each pastry into an 8 -10 inch circle.
- In the centre of the circle, sprinkle a light layer of grated asiago cheese, leaving approx. a 2 inch border. Top with 1/4 of the vegetable filling. Fold the sides of the pastry over the vegetables leaving the centre exposed, overlapping as necessary. See pictures above for references.
- Place the galette on the baking sheet. Repeat with all 4 galettes.
- Brush the pastry tops with olive oil and sprinkle the remaining cheese on the pastry of each galette.
- Bake galettes at 400˚F for 40 – 45 mins or until pastry is golden brown on the bottom.
- Let galettes rest for 5 – 10 minutes before removing.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
See blog post for extra tips.
Galettes will last 3 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of 1 Galette
- Calories: 720
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 1897mg
- Fat: 55.9g
- Saturated Fat: 31.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17.4g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 37.8g
- Cholesterol: 144mg
Keywords: Galettes, Savoury, Vegetables, Pastry, Pie
You may also like:
The GALETTE TIPS are indeed very helpful.