Christmas brownies are the perfect treat to enjoy during the holiday season. They are fun, festive and easy to whip up in no time. These homemade brownies are not only for chocolate lovers but for those who love a fresh minty bite! They are not too sweet and have a super fudgy, moist crumb!
These are hands down the best chocolate mint brownies! These treats offer a little bit of indulgence with rich, fudgy goodness and a hint of fluffy mint buttercream. The tree shapes add the cutest festive touch. Make your Christmas time a little more memorable with these minty, fudgy chocolate brownies.
This Christmas mint brownie recipe uses a combination of milk chocolate and black cocoa powder. Black cocoa powder is essential in obtaining the rich flavour and it also balances the sweetness; creating a brownie that is rich but not too sweet. The peppermint extract adds a slight freshness that has you craving another bite! You can find black cocoa powder at your local Bulk Barn Store.
- Milk chocolate or milk chocolate chips
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Black cocoa powder
- Instant sugar, also known as superfine or caster sugar
- Icing sugar
- Whipping cream (or milk)
- Pure mint extract
- Green food colouring
- Christmas sprinkles
If you’re having trouble finding black cocoa powder you can substitute regular cocoa powder but you’ll want to adjust the sugar from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon. For my American friends, you can find many brands of black cocoa on Amazon.
Tips For The Perfect Fudgy Mint Brownies
- Do not overbake the brownies. In order to create fudgy brownies you want to slightly underbake them.
- For the perfect mint brownies use top quality chocolate for the best flavour and texture.
- Black cocoa makes all the difference in these mint chocolate brownies. I highly recommend making the recipe exactly as is!
How To Make Minty Christmas Chocolate Brownies
Step One: In a medium bowl mix flour, cocoa powder and salt together. Set aside. In a heatproof bowl melt butter and chocolate together, remove from heat and let cool slightly. In a separate large bowl whisk the eggs, sugar and mint extract until pale and creamy.
Step Two: Slowly add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk. Add flour mixture in two additions and fold to combine.
Step Three: Pour the brownie batter into an 8-inch square baking pan. Place in the middle of an oven and bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Step Four: Meanwhile make your icing and place icing in a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the tip cut off. Once brownies have cooled pipe icing diagonally on top of the brownies and add Christmas sprinkles.
Step Five: Using a sharp long knife, cut the square into 3 equal sections. Then cut each strip into triangles. You should get 8 or 9 triangles in each strip.
More Christmas Recipes
- Simple Eggnog Muffins
- Gingerbread Christmas Cookie Trees
- Candy Cane Chocolate Bark
- Chocolate Rum Balls
- Gingerbread Men
Minty Christmas Chocolate Brownies
These minty Christmas chocolate brownies are festive, addictive and hands down the best fudgy brownies around. They make a cute addition to holiday platters and cookie exchanges.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 25 1x
- Category: Brownies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 Tablespoons black cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup instant dissolving sugar. also known as superfine or caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure mint extract
Mint Buttercream Icing
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 Tablespoon whipping cream (or milk)
- green food colouring
- Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the chocolate and butter to a heatproof bowl. Melt butter and chocolate slowly over low heat. Let cool slightly.
- In a bowl mix flour, cocoa and salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl whisk the eggs, sugar and mint extract until pale and creamy. Slowly add the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Add flour mixture in two additions and fold to combine.
- Place in the middle of an oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (don’t overbake). Cool on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make your icing. Using an electric mixer, mix icing sugar, butter, whipping cream and mint extract together until smooth, light and fluffy. Add food colouring to achieve your desired colour. Note: add more whipping cream for a smoother, softer icing, or more icing sugar for a thicker icing.
- Place icing in a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the tip cut off. Once brownies have cooled pipe icing in diagonal strips on top of the entire 8-inch square. Then top with Christmas sprinkles. Let icing set for approx. 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp long knife, cut the square into 3 equal sections. Then cut each section into triangles to create Christmas trees. You should get 8 or 9 triangles in each section (see pictures for reference).
Store chocolate brownies in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 62mg
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14.8g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
Keywords: Christmas Brownies, Homemade Brownies, Chocolate Brownies, Best Brownies, Mint Chocolate, Mint Chocolate Brownies
Yes absolutely! These chocolate brownies are perfect for making in advance. You can bake them a day or two before and store them in an airtight container for freshness or freeze them for up to 2 months.
Be sure not to overbake the brownies. A slightly gooey center is what gives them that perfect fudgy consistency.
This blog post has been sponsored by Bulk Barn Canada where you can find all your baking needs! All opinions are my own and I’m so happy to work with brands I love so I can continue to share these recipes with all of you! I hope you guys get to a Bulk Barn soon and try out this recipe.