Nothing beats a classic like these oatmeal chocolate chip muffins, am I right? They are an old favourite of mine that go perfectly with a cup of tea to start an early morning or an afternoon break.
Leaning more on the healthier side, they only have 1/4 cup of sugar and the rest is filled with wholesome goodness, like milk and oats. You can easily replace the chocolate chips for nuts or leave them plain, but hey, a little dark chocolate isn’t so bad!
Making muffins is a favourite pastime of mine. They require little effort, are an easy clean up and are ready in 30 minutes or less! Muffins are perfect to bring to cottage weekend getaways or to share with friends when they are in need. They freeze well, so you can always have a few tucked away when you crave a snack on the road.
Breakfast is my favourite meal and I love all the baked goods that come with it; croissants, jams, scones, muffins, quiches, crepes… okay I’m making myself hungry. The point is, muffins are simple and easy to make for breakfast. They are fun to play with all kinds of flavours and to experiment. But like these ones, sometimes all you need is a classic – oatmeal chocolate chip muffins with no fancy tricks!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
These Oatmeal muffins are on the healthier side, they only have 1/4 cup of sugar and the rest is filled with wholesome goodness, like milk and oats. You can easily replace the chocolate chips for nuts or leave them plain, but hey, a little dark chocolate isn’t so bad!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 28 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: baking
- 1 1/4 cup large flake rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (reserve a handful to sprinkle a few chipits on the tops of each muffin)
- 1 cup full milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Line a muffin tin with liners. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375˚F.
- In a large bowl mix together oats, flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Fill each muffin cup with the batter. I use an ice-cream scoop to keep consistency and to keep things clean. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on the tops of each muffin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approx. 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy warm.
Replace chocolate chips with nuts or fruit.
Store in an airtight container for 3 days. Muffins also freeze well.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 237g
- Sugar: 8.7g
- Sodium: 118mg
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 26.2g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
Keywords: Muffins, Oatmeal, Chocolate, Breakfast, Treat, Snack, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
You may also like: