This is a fun and easy recipe to enjoy apples all year round! You can get fancy like me and braid the apple strudels or you can skip that step and simply just fold the pastry over and make a few air vent slices with a sharp knife.
It’s possible I romanticize food and the ideas that come with it. Honestly, I take pleasure in that feeling, it gives me joy and if I could continually create moments that surround me with good food, laughter and friendship, I would do it every day!
For a few years now I’ve been wanting to go apple picking but never seem to get the opportunity before the frost comes. I daydream of gathering baskets full of fresh crisp fruit with my nieces and nephew running around the orchard and spending the rest of the day making fun apple treats for the whole family. Instead, I leave the idea for another year and grab a bag from the grocery store. I’ve been wanting to make a simple apple strudel so thought now would be a perfect time.
I used Cripps Lady apples (otherwise known as Pink Lady) for these individual simple apple strudels. These apples are balanced between sweet, tart, and tannic notes. They will retain their shape when put up against high heat and the best part, they are easily accessible at almost every grocery store. This makes them a perfect choice for baking!
- Puff pastry (two sheets in one box)
- Cripps Pink (Pink Lady) apples
- Granulated sugar & large crystal sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Lemon juice
- Ground cloves
- Ground Cinnamon
- Milk or butter
How To Make Simple Apple Strudels
Step One: Peel and thinly slice your apples, then toss the apples in some lemon juice, add sugar, flour, and ground cloves.
Step Two: Roll out puffy pastry, cut into 4 even rectangles. Mark each rectangle into 3 even sections vertically (just mark as a guideline). On one end make approx. 5 cuts on an angle, do the exact same on the opposite side leaving the centre as a base to fill your apples.
Step Three: Fill the centre with apple slices, sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and then fold each cut over each other like a braid. Pinch the ends down and transfer to your baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk or melted butter and sprinkle large crystal sugar on top. Bake until browned and crisp.Print
This apple strudel recipe is simple and delicious. All you have to do is wrap puff pastry around a pile of sliced and sugared apples and sprinkle with cinnamon, bake in the oven and enjoy! It’s not necessary to braid the strudels but I think it’s worth it.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: German
- puff pastry (two sheets in one box)
- 4 Cripps Pink (Pink Lady) apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- lemon juice
- ground cinnamon
- milk or butter
- large crystal sugar
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice your apples, keeping the slices a consistent size. Every so often toss your apples in some lemon juice to keep them from browning/oxidizing.
- Once all apples are sliced and peeled, add sugar, flour, and ground cloves. Toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out your first sheet of puffy pastry. Cut into 4 even rectangles. Using a knife, mark each rectangle into 3 even sections vertically (do not cut through, just mark as a guideline). On one end make approx. 5 cuts on an angle, do the exact same on the opposite side leaving the centre as a base to fill your apples (refer to image above).
- Fill the centre with approx. 12-15 apple slices (and spoon a little of that juice too), sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and then fold each cut over each other like a braid. Pinch the ends down and carefully transfer to your baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining pastry.
- Roll out your second sheet of puff pastry and repeat step 5.
- Leave space between each strudel on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk or melted butter and sprinkle large crystal sugar on top.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 20 minutes or until bottoms are browned.
- Enjoy warm.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 482
- Sugar: 19.3
- Sodium: 150mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 52.2g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Apple Strudel, Hand Pies, Apple, Puff Pastry
Apple strudels are best served warm right out of the oven or at room temperature. Once the strudel has been stored in the refrigerator it loses the crispy exterior.
Reheating apple strudels in the oven will bring back the crispy exterior after being stored in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven at 350˚F for 8-10 minutes.
Store apple strudels in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They are best enjoyed on the same day, warm from the oven.
You may also like;