This my friends, is an easy recipe that you’re going to love! These strawberry cream cheese Danishes are the perfect way to express affection through the joy of homemade goodness! Making homemade pastries is a special treat and even more special when shaped into cute little hearts. And you won’t believe just how easy it is!
These strawberry Danish hearts are the perfect breakfast pastry for Valentine’s Day or any occasion celebrating that special someone. They are simply irresistible with a combination of juicy strawberries and a light tangy cream cheese filling. The flaky crust adds the perfect touch of texture to elevate this treat beyond the ordinary.
This is a simple recipe with simple ingredients! I’m normally not one for using store -bought pastries, like pie shells but when it comes to puff pastry I’m all for it! Store-bought puff pastry makes your life a whole lot easier and (in my opinion) the quality is very good. Use a brand you love and stick with it!
- Puff pastry
- Cream cheese
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon juice
- Strawberry jam
- Fresh strawberries
- Icing sugar
As cute as these heart shaped Danish pastries are for Valentine’s Day, you can also make them anytime of year and shape/cut them into rectangles or any shape you like. You can also change up the filling to any fruit and jam, the options are endless. Here are a few variations you may like;
- Shape/cut into rectangles or circles
- Use fresh blueberries and blueberry jam
- Use fresh raspberries and raspberry jam
- Add a mix of fresh berries and use any combination of jam
- Use fresh peaches and peach jam
Tips For Perfect Strawberry Cream Cheese Danishes
- Make sure to properly defrost your puff pastry the night or day before. Read the package instructions.
- If the puff pastry is wet or sticky add a little flour over the areas to avoid the pastry from sticking to the work surface.
- Use softened cream cheese that’s been at room temperature. Microwaving cream cheese is not recommended!
- Use full fat cream cheese and is good quality cream cheese. This will ensure that your filling will be stable and will not crack.
- Using a piping bag is more accurate to fill the centre of each heart with the cream cheese mixture. Make sure to stay inside the scored heart so the puff pastry can rise around the edges.
More Recipes Using Puff Pastry
- Lemon Cream Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- Berry Cheese Tart
- Simple Apple Strudel
- Farmer’s Cheese Danish
- Easy Peach Tarte Tatin
How To Make Strawberry Cream Danishes
Step One: Thaw your puff pastry the night before, following the instructions on the package. In a small bowl add cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice. Using a hand held mixer (or whisk by hand) whip until smooth and combined.
Step Two: On a lightly floured work surface roll out puff pastry, using a rolling pin to gently reroll to even out the pastry. Using a large heart shaped cookie cutter, approx. 4 inches in size, cut out 9 hearts. Remove the extra pastry and discard. Score a smaller heart inside the large heart by either using a smaller heart shaped cookie cutter or freehand draw with a sharp paring knife. Make sure not to cut all the way through.
Step Three: Add the cream cheese filling to a piping bag and pipe/fill the center of each small heart.
Step Four: Add a dollop of strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese filling and top with 3-4 thin slices of strawberries. Then brush the exposed pastry with milk and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Let Danishes cool on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes. Dust the top of the Danishes with icing sugar and serve.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Danishes
These sweet, heart shaped strawberry cream cheese Danishes are as cute as can be and make a special treat for loved ones! Each heart has a light smooth cream cheese filling with bursts of fruity strawberry jam and fresh berries; all atop a flaky, buttery pastry.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 9 1x
- Category: Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Danish
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- strawberry jam, at room temperature
- fresh strawberries, approx. 9 small berries thinly sliced
- milk, for brushing the tops
- icing sugar, for the tops (optional)
- Thaw your puff pastry the night before, following the instructions on the package.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl add cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice. Using a hand held mixer (or whisk by hand) whip until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out puff pastry, using a rolling pin to gently reroll to even out the pastry.
- Using a large heart shaped cookie cutter (approx. 4 inches), cut out 9 hearts. Remove the extra pastry and discard. Score a smaller heart inside the large heart by either using a smaller heart shaped cookie cutter or freehand draw with a sharp paring knife. Make sure not to cut all the way through.
- Place the hearts on your prepared baking sheet approx. 1-2 inches apart.
- Add the cream cheese filling to a piping bag and pipe/fill the center of each small heart (if you don’t have a piping bag you can spoon the filling and use an offset spatula to smooth it out).
- Add a dollop of strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese filling and top with 3-4 strawberry slices.
- Place the entire baking tray with the hearts into the freezer for 6 minutes (this is to firm up the filling so it doesn’t spread too much).
- Then brush the exposed pastry with milk and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let Danishes cool on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes then dust the tops with icing sugar before serving.
Danishes are best enjoyed the same day. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat Danishes in the oven at 350˚F for 5-8 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 20.9g
- Sodium: 115mg
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 26.8g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
Keywords: Puff Pastry, Danishes, Strawberry Cream Cheese
Puff pastry is a light and flaky pastry used in both sweet and savoury dishes. It’s made by alternating layers of dough and butter together, which is called laminating. The only ingredients used are butter, salt, water, and flour. These layers of butter and dough create a light, puffy, flaky pastry.
Yes, Danishes can be made ahead 1-2 days. Reheat Danishes in the oven at 350˚F for 5-8 minutes.
It’s best to use fresh strawberries and fresh fruit when making Danishes. Frozen fruit can cause soggy pastry and will bleed colour and liquid throughout the cream cheese.